A step by step Guide on how to take an Online Proctored Exam
1. System Requirements
Ensure that your computer meets the following system requirements:
- Windows® 11, Windows® 10 (Windows 10S is not supported), Windows® 8.1, Windows® 8. Note: The ExamShield Microsoft Store version is only available to Windows 10 version 17763 or later.
- Internet Explorer version 10 or greater.
- Dual-core 2.4GHz CPU or faster with 2GB of RAM (Minimum requirements).
- Active Full-Time/Broadband internet connection of at least 4Mbps.
- 16-bit monitor (at least 15”) with screen resolution 1024 x 768 or higher.
- Speakers and microphone (the use of headsets is only allowed during onboarding).
- Keyboard and mouse or another pointing device (keyboard set to English characters).
- A single web camera you can rotate (embedded or external – no mobile phone)
2. Exam Preparation
Your Identification Document (ID):
On the day of your exam your Proctor will verify your ID. You are responsible for ensuring the ID used to register and take your exam is valid and acceptable. On your exam day if you do not present valid and acceptable ID, or the First/Middle Name(s) and Last Name of your ID does not exactly match the name you used to register for your exam, you will not be allowed to test and will not be entitled to a refund. You will, however, be able to re-book your exam following the standard exam booking process. Your ID must:
- Be current and valid – ID containing dates that have expired are not allowed.
- Be an original, not a photocopy.
- Include a recognizable photo of you.
- Match the information you gave when you booked your online exam.
- Be a government-issued national/state/province identity card that is recognized by the country in which you are a citizen or permanent resident.
- Contain your Birthdate/Year.
- Contain your First/Middle Name(s) and Last Name in English (Latin) characters.
Please note that electronic IDs will not be accepted
Using an ID document NOT Written in English-language Letters (Latin Characters)
If the ID you are using to register for your online exam is an acceptable ID document but NOT written in English-language letters (Latin Characters), on the day of your exam your online Proctor will check and validate that the:
- ID you are presenting is valid, acceptable and matches the ID details you registered with.
- First/Middle Name(s) and Last Name that you registered with in English-language letters (Latin Characters) is an accurate translation of your native language ID document. The details must be an exact match. If you used a ‘preferred name’ (e.g., a name you prefer to be known by) to register for your exam that does not exactly match the ID details you registered with, this will not be accepted
Before the exam, you must:
- Ensure your mobile/cell-phone number, including country code, is completed in your Candidate Profile.
- Disable any Virtualization Software such as VMware, Virtual PC, Virtual Box or Sandbox during the exam. For exam security reasons, the ExamShield cannot run through any virtualization software. You should also close any applications that might affect the exam process, such as web browsers, chat, desktop, sharing and mail client applications.
- Ensure you have read, understood, and fully prepared your exam environment to meet the Security requirements described in Section 4 of this document.
- Ensure you have read and followed the Exam Shield Instructions detailed in Section 5 of this document. Please note:
- If you are using a corporate device and/or do not have administration rights to the device, please consult your IT department before the installation of the ExamShield software.
- If you experience difficulties installing or executing ExamShield, please add ExamShield to your Antivirus and Firewall whitelist and repeat the installation steps. You should consult your Antivirus/Firewall vendor on how to do this. Kindly note that administration rights to the device will be required.
- Corporate networks and/or VPN access may impact service delivery of the exam. You are advised to consult your IT department.
- If you try to use an older version of ExamShield that is already installed in your computer, an error will appear prompting you to update to the latest version
Important note (from April 2020):
Taking into consideration the current circumstances, due to the outbreak of COVID-19, PeopleCert and AXELOS have reached a joint decision to permit until 31 December 2021:
- the use of e-book PDFs on a second electronic device on airplane mode (portable digital devices such as smartphones, tablets or laptops) during open-book exams for AXELOS qualifications.
the printing of e-book PDFs for use, during open-book exams for AXELOS qualifications.
These changes will come into effect from April 13th, 2020.
Allowing the use of printed e-book PDFs may be subject to a possible extension, depending on the circumstances.
When preparing for the exam, you must ensure:
- You have the same, valid photo ID you used to register and book your exam.
- You have another form of photo ID available in case additional ID verification is required.
- Your mobile/cell-phone remains switched on but set to silent. The device must be placed out of reach, so you need to move away from your chair to access it.
- You do not have access to any unauthorized items, including unauthorised:
- Notes, manuals, whiteboards etc.
- Technology. This includes additional headphones, screen(s), monitor(s), keyboard(s), camera(s), projector(s) or projected images/words.
Note: Hard copy manuals are allowed for open book exams only. The use of hard copy dictionaries (not Thesaurus) is allowed for ITIL and PeopleCert DevOps exams only.
- You are prepared to complete the exam on your own, without any assistance from a third party.
- The room you use to take your exam meets the following criteria:
- There is only one doorway for access in and out of the room.
- The room is private, and you can be sure you will be alone for the entire exam.
- The walls and desk/table(s) are clear of all unnecessary and/or unauthorized items (e.g., posters,
post-it notes, papers and books).
- Where note paper or other resources are allowed, you can and should have this available on your
desk for your exam onboarding. You must show these authorized items to the Proctor on
request, so they can ensure there is nothing on them that could provide an unfair advantage.
- Where note paper or other resources are allowed, you can and should have this available on your
- No screens are visible, other than the screen which is being used to take the exam.
- There is adequate light to ensure the Proctor can see you clearly throughout the exam. Light should
not be directed toward the webcam.
- The computer/laptop and technology you are using for your exam meet the following criteria:
- Cameras are clear and free from obstruction.
- You can rotate your webcam 360 degrees, low and high, to show all areas of the room, including under the desk, the desk surface and any other areas that may pose a risk to exam security.
- There are no secondary monitors, smart accessories and/or devices connected or accessible.
- The computer sound settings are set to Speakers and Microphones. Headsets are not allowed during the exam.
- The screen and webcam are positioned so that you and the doorway of the room are fully visible to the Proctor through the webcam.
- You are sat comfortably and can maintain the same position, in full view of the Proctor, throughout the exam.
During the exam onboarding your Proctor will complete a range of security checks. The Proctor will not start the exam until they are satisfied the exam regulations can be met. These may include (note, this is not an exhaustive list):
- Full verification of your identity, including showing your ID document via the webcam.
- A full 360-degree scan of your room, including detailed views under the desk and above/below/inside areas of the room that may pose a risk to exam security.
- Displaying of your computer device monitor with your mobile/cell-phone or a mirror.
- Requests to move or remove items that may pose a risk to exam security.
- Candidate security checks such as:
- A close-up view of your sleeves, eyeglasses, ears and/or hair. Please note that you may be asked to remove any scarf, hat, turban, kippah, hijab etc. If you require a female Proctor to carry out this security check, you must contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org before your exam day so that we can ensure a female Proctor is available.
Your Proctor may also repeat security checks during the exam as necessary. This may be because the Proctor has observed something that could compromise the security or integrity of the exam. You must comply with all security check requests in a reasonable and timely manner.
How we deal with non-compliance:
For minor non-compliance your Proctor will notify you of the infringement and immediate action required. If you do not take timely action, or there is a significant risk to the exam integrity, your exam will be suspended, and the session terminated. Your exam may also be sent for post-exam security review. Depending on the
nature of the review and its outcomes there may be:
- A delay in the release of your results, pending satisfactory conclusion of the review
- A requirement to re-sit the exam under the correct exam conditions.
- Annulment of exam results.
- Deactivation of your PeopleCert profile.
The actions applied following a post-exam security review will be proportionate to the non-compliance identified. We will keep you informed of the progress and final outcomes of the review.
All reviews/investigations will be completed in line with our Malpractice Policy. Should a candidate disagree with the final outcome they can appeal following the process outlined in our Appeals Policy which will be made available upon request.
3. Exam Shield Installation
Up to 1 Hour prior to the exam
Step 1: Install the ExamShield
- Close all applications running in your computer
- Disable any Virtualization Software
Click on "Get Started” included in the PeopleCert registration email and login to your PeopleCert
On the overview tab, click to “Download” and select either “Microsoft Store” version or “Windows Client” version.
Note: If the “Download” option is not activated, make sure you click on “Check in” first.
Option A: “Microsoft Store” version
Click “Get” to download and install ExamShield.
Click “Launch” to run ExamShield.
Click “Run ExamShield”
Option B: “Windows Client” version
“Accept and Install WindowsOS client” to set up the ExamShield application.
Click Save/Run ExamShieldLauncher.exe. The installation should start automatically and may take a few minutes to complete.
Once installation is completed, the ExamShield window will appear.
Option A and Option B:
Please log in using the username and password of your PeopleCert profile.
If you used a Facebook, LinkedIn or Google sign-in to register to your profile, please click on the relevant icon to login.
A countdown timer to your exam will appear under your exam credentials.
The “Call” button will re-direct you to the phone number that you can contact PeopleCert Customer Support on.
The “Chat” button will re-direct you to the chat that you can contact PeopleCert Customer Support on.
Click “CHECK SYSTEM” to confirm your system meets the Exam Shield requirements. Do this at least 1 hour prior to the scheduled exam time, in order to avoid last minute technical issues. The compatibility test will check the hardware and the internet speed. Any security settings or virtualization programs that could interfere with the connection will not be detected but only during the actual connection to the exam.
Compatibility test consists of 4 parts which are:
- System integrity
- Internet connection
System Integrity checks the compliance of your Operating System with the ExamShield application requirements, such as the OS version and free disk space amongst others.
In order to check audio, select “BEGIN AUDIO TEST”.
Your microphone will be recorded for the next 10 seconds.
ExamShield will playback the recording. If you can hear your voice, select “YES” to proceed to next checks. If “NO” ¸ begin audio test again.
To check that your camera is functional, you will be asked if you can see yourself in a specific panel. You will be able to edit the setting of your camera by selecting the button next to Camera dropdown menu.
After completing each check, a message informs you if the check has “Passed” or “Failed” or a “Warning” is raised.
In case of “Failed”, detailed error information and possible workarounds will be provided.
Click “CHECK AGAIN” to retry.
In case of a “Warning” message, click on the arrow on the right of the warning to view more details.
Please note that a “Warning” will not prevent you from taking the exam. It is a suggestion to ensure optimal exam experience.
During the Internet Connection testing you will be asked to record a 10 second video and subsequently
After a successful check of each step, you will be able to “START EXAM” if the scheduled exam start time is in less than 10 minutes.
Otherwise, you are suggested to terminate the application and launch it again 10 minutes prior to your scheduled exam time.
By clicking on Exam guidelines link on the bottom of the screen, you will be informed about all appropriate information to run your online Proctored exam
10 Minutes prior to the exam
Step 2: Log In to ExamShield
Login using the username and password of your PeopleCert profile. If you used a Facebook, LinkedIn or Google sign-in to register your profile, please
click on the relevant icon to login.
A pop-up message will notify you if any application needs to be closed to continue with the exam.
Step 3: Self-onboarding
An intuitive wizard will guide you towards connecting to your Proctor and starting your exam.
- Accept NDA
- Read exam instructions
Read the information carefully before you proceed to the next step.
- View Exam tutorial
A quick tutorial will help you familiarize with the exam environment. You will learn how to:
-navigate among questions
-flag a question
-end an exam
-zoom in or zoom out the exam environment
-How to refresh and login in case of a network disconnection
-Communicate with your proctor through chat
- Check exam rules
Check all the rules confirming that you have read and approved all of them.
- Scan your ID
Upload or take a picture of your ID Document so that PeopleCert can verify your personal information.
Select “BROWSE” in order to upload a picture of your ID.
Select “CAPTURE” to take a snapshot of your ID. Make sure you get a clear and readable snapshot.
In case of “CAPTURE”, you are able to accept the picture or retry to take another one or to cancel it.
In case you are unable to get a proper snapshot, feel free to proceed with your best shot and your Proctor will assist your once connected.
- Connect to proctor
Once you complete the above steps, click “LET’S GO” to connect with your Proctor. By clicking “LET’S GO” you consent to Peoplecert recording your screen, camera and keystroked for quality and auditing reasons
Once logged in, one of the two following control panels will open:
- Many2Many control panel on the right, indicating you have successfully joined the session. You can minimize the control panel by clicking on the red arrow button.
- GoToMeeting control panel on the right, indicating you have successfully joined the session. You can minimize the control panel by clicking on the shrink control button.
Step 4: Your online proctor joins the session
You will be instructed to:
- Check your audio and video performance.
- Complete the required security checks.
- Share your screen with your online Proctor.
- Confirm your personal details. If any of the information is incorrect, please inform your online Proctor.
- Your online Proctor will let you know when you are set to begin your exam!
Click Next to continue only when prompted by your Proctor.
Please note: Your exam session will be recorded, and your Online Proctor will be online throughout your exam session in case you need any help. You must have your microphone on throughout the session. In case of communication loss during the exam, the Online Proctor will stop the process. Once the connection is reestablished, you will be able to continue your exam using your remaining exam time.
Step 5: Begin your exam
Read the information carefully before you start the exam.
- If you are taking a Lean Six Sigma exam you may print the help file by clicking on the “Print Scenarios” button.
Please note: Acrobat reader is required to view PDF files (or any other PDF reader).
- Click “Start Exam”.
Step 6: Answer questions
The menu on the left shows all the question numbers. You can move from one question to the next by clicking on the question number. The question you are currently working on becomes highlighted
If you are taking any exam that requires a scenario, there is also the option to open it in an electronic form inside the exam, by clicking on the button Open scenario in window on the top right corner.
If you are taking a Lean Six Sigma exam, you have the option to use the WebATES’ calculator.
To return to a question, you can flag it, by checking the button next to the question number on the left menu. To unflag it, click to deselect the flag. You can flag more than one question.
To answer a question, click on the square of the answer you wish to choose. You can change your answer by clicking on a different option. You may review a question as many times as you want.
A pop-up message will remind you 15 min before your time is going to run out
Step 7: End the exam
When you have completed your exam, click End Exam on the bottom right menu. Your answers are automatically submitted, and no changes can be made. Questions that have not been answered are marked as incorrect. If there are any unanswered questions you will be notified by a pop-up message.
You will need to confirm that you want to end the exam.
Step 8: Take the Satisfaction Survey
You are prompted to complete a short Satisfaction survey, to provide us with feedback on your exam experience, or skip and proceed to your results.
Step 9: Get your results
The Exam Results Report appears. Please note that the results are provisional and subject to verification by PeopleCert.
Click the “Print” button to print the report or the “Export” to save it as an html file.
Once confirmed by your online proctor that the exam session has been successfully completed, you will be asked to destroy any scratch papers or scenarios you have used and exit from the ExamShield.
You are advised to uninstall the Exam Shield.