A step by step Guide on how to take an Online Proctored Exam
1. System Requirements
Ensure that your computer meets the following system requirements:
- Windows® 10 (Windows 10S is not supported),, Windows® 8.1, Windows® 8
- Internet Explorer version 10 or greater
- Dual-core 2.4GHz CPU or faster with 2GB of RAM (recommended)
- Active Full-Time/Broadband internet connection of of at least 4Mbps
- 16-bit monitor (at least 15”) with screen resolution 1024 x 768 or higher
- Speakers and microphone (the use of headsets is only allowed during onboarding)
- Keyboard and mouse or another pointing device (keyboard set to English characters)
- A single web camera (embedded or external – no mobile phone) you can rotate.
2. Exam Preparation
Before you take the exam, you need to:
- Have a valid Government issued Identification Document, with your First/Middle Name(s) and Last Name in English (Latin) characters, including a photograph and date of birth, such as a National ID card, Passport, driving license, military card or social security card, as your online proctor will need to verify your ID as being the same used for registration before you begin your exam.
- Disable any Virtualization Software such as VMware, Virtual PC, Virtual Box or Sandbox during the exam. For exam security reasons, the ExamShield cannot run through any virtualization software. You should also close any applications that might affect the exam process, such as web browsers, chat, desktop, sharing and mail client applications
- Make sure your mobile number, including country code is filled in your Candidate Profile.
- You have the same photo ID available you used during registration
- You can rotate your webcam 360 degrees, to show all 4 walls of your room as well as your desk surface
- You are the only person in the room throughout the entire exam session
- There is no background noise in the room
- Secondary monitors must be turned off or covered
- There is adequate light in the room, but no direct light towards the web camera
- Your desk is clean, papers, books or notes are not allowed excluding the use of the applicable official hard copy manuals for open book exams only
Note: The use of hard copy dictionaries (not Thesaurus) is allowed for ITIL and PeopleCert DevOps exams only
- Your computer sound settings are set to Speakers and Microphone since headsets are not allowed during the examination
- Mobile phones should be set to silent and not deactivated. This way Customer Service can contact you in case of technical issues.
Important note (from April 2020):
Taking into consideration the current circumstances, due to the outbreak of COVID-19, PeopleCert and AXELOS have reached a joint decision to permit until 31 December 2021:
- the use of e-book PDFs on a second electronic device on airplane mode (portable digital devices such as smartphones, tablets or laptops) during open-book exams for AXELOS qualifications.
the printing of e-book PDFs for use, during open-book exams for AXELOS qualifications.
These changes will come into effect from April 13th, 2020.
Allowing the use of printed e-book PDFs may be subject to a possible extension, depending on the circumstances.
What to expect during the onboarding process:
When you connect with your proctor at the start of your exam session the proctor will check your uploaded ID document and may also ask you to show your photo ID. If you are asked to show your photo ID, hold it up to the webcam to verify your identity. The proctor will ask you to slowly move your webcam around the room to show all walls of the room as well as your workspace. If there are notes or any other restricted items on your desk or near you, the proctor will ask you to remove them before allowing your exam to start. You may also be asked to show your computer monitor with your mobile/cell phone or a mirror. Once the check is complete your proctor will make sure your mobile/cell phone is placed somewhere out of reach.
- Glass walls and/or doors are prohibited unless they are covered
- Position yourself in a way that doors are behind you and visible to the proctor through the webcam
- You need to pre-install a printer in case you want to print the exam scenarios (only for exams that this is allowed) and exam result report. Alternatively, you will be able to view them in a pop-up window during the session and be able to export the results in an html file
- If you experience difficulties in installing or executing ExamShield, please add ExamShield to your Antivirus and Firewall whitelist and repeat the above steps. Please consult your Antivirus/Firewall vendor on how to do this. Kindly note that admin rights will be required.
- If you are using a corporate device, please consult your IT department before the installation of the software and if you do not hold administration rights..
- Use of blank papers for note-taking may be allowed according to the rules specified for each test. In any case the proctor will ask you to tear the papers in front of the screen at the end of the test
- After finishing your exam, you are strongly advised to uninstall ExamShield. If you are planning to take another exam, you will receive a new link with instructions on how to reinstall the ExamShield.
- You should always install the ExamShield version provided to you for your specific exam. If you try to use a version of ExamShield, that is already installed in your computer, an error will appear prompting you to update to the latest version
If you try to use an older version of ExamShield, that is already installed in your computer, an error will appear prompting you to update to the latest version.
3. Exam Shield Installation
Up to 1 Hour prior to the exam
Step 1: Install the ExamShield
- Close all applications running in your computer
- Disable any Virtualization Software
Click on "Get Started” included in the PeopleCert registration email and login to your PeopleCert profile.
On the overview tab, click to “download” and then “Accept and Install WindowsOS client” to set up the ExamShield application.
Note: If the the “download” option is not activated, make sure that you click on “check in” first.
Click on Get Started” included in the PeopleCert registration email and login to your peopleCert profile. On the overview tab, click to “download” and then “Accept and Install” WindowsOS client” to set up the ExamShield application.
Note: If the the “download” option is not activated, make sure that you click on “check in” first.
Click Save/Run ExamShieldLauncher.exe. The installation should start automatically and may take a few minutes to complete.
Once installation is completed, a new window will appear. Please log in using the username and password of your PeopleCert profile.
If you used a Facebook, LinkedIn or Google sign-in to register to your profile, please click on the relevant icon to login.
A countdown timer to your exam will appear under your exam credentials.
“Call” button will re-direct you to the phone number that you could contact Customer Support.
“Chat” button will re-direct you to the chat that you could contact Customer Support.
Click “CHECK SYSTEM” to confirm your system meets the Exam Shield requirements. Do this at least 1 hour prior to the scheduled exam time, in order to avoid last minute technical issues.
Compatibility test consists of 4 parts which are:
- System integrity
- Internet connection
- System integrity
System Integrity checks the compliance of your Operating System with the ExamShield application requirements, such as the OS version and free disk space amongst others.
In order to check audio, select “BEGIN AUDIO TEST”.
Your microphone will be recorded for the next 10 seconds.
ExamShield will playback the recording. If you can hear your voice, select “YES” to proceed to next checks. If “NO” ¸ begin audio test again.
In order to check that your camera is functional, you will be asked to see if you can see yourself in a specific panel. You will be able to edit Setting of your camera by selecting the button next to Camera dropdown menu.
After completing each check, a message informs you if the check has “Passed” or “Failed” or a “Warning” is raised.
In case of “Failed”, detailed error information and possible workarounds will be provided.
Click “CHECK AGAIN” to retry.
In case of warning, click on the arrow on the right of the warning to view more details
Please note that a “warning” will not prevent you from taking the exam. It is a suggestion to ensure optimal exam experience.After a successful check of each step, you will be able to “START EXAM” if the scheduled exam start time is in less than 10 minutes.
Otherwise you are suggested to terminate the application and launch it again 10 minutes prior to your scheduled exam time.
By clicking on Exam guidelines link on the bottom of the screen, you will be informed about all appropriate information so as to run your online proctored exam.
10 Minutes prior to the exam
Step 2: Log In to ExamShield
Double click the ExamShield icon from your desktop and click “TAKE EXAM” to login.
A pop-up message will notify you if any application needs to be closed to continue with the exam.
Step 3: Self-onboarding
An intuitive wizard will guide you towards connecting to your Proctor and starting your exam.
- Accept NDA
- Read exam instructions
Read the information carefully before you proceed to the next step.
- View Exam tutorial
A quick tutorial will help you familiarize with the exam environment. You will learn how to:
-navigate among questions
-flag a question
-end an exam
-zoom in or zoom out the exam environment
-How to refresh and login in case of a network disconnection
-Communicate with your proctor through chat
- Check exam rules
Check all the rules confirming that you have read and approved all of them.
- Scan your ID
Upload or take a picture of your ID Document so that PeopleCert can verify your personal information.
Select “BROWSE” in order to upload a picture of your ID.
Select “CAPTURE” in order to take a snapshot of your ID. Make sure you get a clear and readable snapshot.
In case of “CAPTURE”, you are able to accept the picture or retry to take another one or to cancel it.
In case you are unable to get a proper snapshot, feel free to proceed with your best shot and your Proctor will assist your once connected.
- Connect to proctor
Once you complete the above steps, click “LET’S GO” to connect with your Proctor.
Once logged in, one of the two following control panels will open:
- Many2Many control panel on the right, indicating you have successfully joined the session. You can minimize the control panel by clicking on the red arrow button.
- GoToMeeting control panel on the right, indicating you have successfully joined the session. You can minimize the control panel by clicking on the shrink control button.
Step 4: Your online proctor joins the session
You will be instructed to:
- Check your audio and video performance
- Show your ID to the camera if needed
- Show your room (360 degree rotation) and your desk
- Share your screen with your online proctor
- Confirm your personal details. If any of the information is incorrect, please inform your online proctor
- Your online proctor will let you know when you are set to begin your exam!
Click Next to continue only when prompted by your Proctor.
Please note: Your exam session will be recorded, and your Online Proctor will be online throughout your exam session in case you need any help. You must have your microphone on throughout the session. In case of communication loss during the exam, the Online Proctor will stop the process. Once the connection is re-established, you will be able to continue your exam using your remaining exam time.
Step 5: Begin your exam
Read the information carefully before you start the exam.
- If you are taking a Lean Six Sigma exam you may print the help file by clicking on the “Print Scenarios” button.
Please note: Acrobat reader is required to view PDF files (or any other PDF reader).
- Click “Start Exam”.
Step 6: Answer questions
The menu on the left shows all the question numbers. You can move from one question to the next by clicking on the question number. The question you are currently working on becomes highlighted.
If you are taking any exam that requires a scenario, there is also the option to open it in an electronic form inside the exam, by clicking on the button Open scenario in window on the top right corner.
If you are taking a Lean Six Sigma exam, you have the option to use the WebATES’ calculator.
To return to a question, you can flag it, by checking the button next to the question number on the left menu. To unflag it, unclick the button. You can flag more than one question.
To answer a question, click on the square of the answer you want. You can change your answer by clicking on a different option. You may review a question as many times as you want.
A pop up message will remind you 15 min before your time is running up!
Step 7: End the exam
When you have completed your exam, click End Exam on the bottom right menu. Your answers are automatically submitted, and no changes can be made. Questions that have not been answered are marked as incorrect. If there are any unanswered questions you will be notified by a pop-up message.
You will need to confirm that you want to end the exam.
Step 8: Take the Survey
You are prompted to complete a short Satisfaction survey, to provide us with feedback on your exam experience, or skip and proceed to your results.
Step 9: Get your results
The Exam Results Report appears. Please note that the results are provisional and subject to verification by PeopleCert.
Click the “Print” button to print the report or the “Export” to save it as an html file.
Once confirmed by your online proctor that the exam session has been successfully completed, you will be asked to destroy any scratch papers or scenarios you have used and exit from the ExamShield.
You are advised to uninstall the Exam Shield.