IT professionals in this area specialize in planning and managing the release of new or changed software and hardware into test and live environments.
While some releases are self-contained, many need items from other products in order to work effectively. Producing a new payroll system for example might involve updating software modules and changes to the operating procedures.
The Release Manager brings together the multiple project deliverables that are required for the release and ensures that they work as an integrated package.
Release Managers own and plan the full release lifecycle. They will be involved as early as the requirements stage to define the release plan and ensure there is lead time for all the co-dependent pieces to be developed together, tested and operate effectively prior to release. They’ll then work collaboratively to monitor progress, communicate and coordinate release activities.
- Schedule and communicate release details and schedules to the business after ensuring absence of conflicts
- Manage the process and tools used for software build
- Implement new versions in the live environment
- Record details of the configuration in the configuration management database (CMDB)
- Carry out back-out plans to remove the new version if necessary.
Potential Next Steps
IT Project Manager, IT Change Manager, IT Configuration Manager.
How to get there
AXELOS professional certifications are recognized worldwide by employers as an indicator of your skills and commitment as an ITSM professional.
The following certifications are aimed at practising Release Managers and will support your development into more senior ITSM roles: